Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Yet More Pictures

Washington State is a perfect environment for green and growing things. We have a maritime climate--lots of rain and mild winters (usually) and also lots of sunshine. Rain and sunshine have been in abundance this year, and as a result things are growing as fast as a speeding bullet. (Case in point: the apple above, taken in bright sunshine right after it rained) You can almost hear the vegetation growing in the pasture. So I've been taking lots of pictures lately. Pictures of the cats and dogs playing, of the horses playing, of flowers blooming, of trees in all their leafy glory. Lots of pictures. Here is a sampling.

This is the underside of a leaf from the apple tree. Love the veins!












And if you don't believe in our rains, here's a picture of part of my driveway during a huge rainstorm.











This is a single tree in my pasture, an ancient alder with three trunks. Quite a rarity for an alder.

















And last but not least, one of my favorite pasture pictures, showing a meandering path made by my horses and wild critters. I find this picture very calming.









5 comments:

NinaP said...

Love the picture of the path. I want to strap my laptop onto my back and walk it.

News From the Holmestead said...

Hi, Nina. It *is* a lovely path, isn't it? I go down there often with my camera, just because it's so beautiful. ~Sherrie

NinaP said...

Where does the path lead, Sherrie?

News From the Holmestead said...

Nina, the path leads nowhere. *g* Actually, it meanders through the woods and ends up at the fence. On the other side of the fence is dence understory--salal, shrubs, bushes, huckleberries, blackberries, that sort of thing. Lots of brush, and totally impenatrable, unless you are a bunny or a coyote. Last night I watched 4 bunnies playing in the twilight at the end of that trail. I tried to take a picture, but even using a telephoto lense, they were too far away to get a good shot. Regardless, once the path ends at the fenceline, it continues on a much smaller scale where it's used by smaller critters.

NinaP said...

A path leading to nowhere in particular... sounds like my kind of oagt. I've often wondered if the authors of the Spiderwick Chronicles didn't have access to such a path leading to such a place as yours.