Saturday, October 20, 2007

Nostalgia #3

Today I had a blast doing the sister thing. My sister Lori and I spent the day making and baking. I made a corned beef hash casserole and she made a zucchini casserole. I made squash bread and she made salsa. We sliced and diced and laughed and reminisced. It was quality time. And it fits right in with my Nostalgia Series, because what we did today was build memories.

And boy, were we tired! After spending all day working in the kitchen, we were too tired to bake the chocolate chip cookies at the end of the day. We divvied everything up--each of us getting 2 casseroles, squash bread, salsa, and cookie dough.

I'm sitting here at 10:30 at night, full of good food and happy memories. Do you have happy family memories? Are there certain meals you fix that make you nostalgic? Perhaps it was a meal you loved as a child. My favorite nostalgia meal is meatloaf and scalloped potatoes. Comfort food. What's your comfort food?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm doing the sister thing, too. My sister, who has been battling years of drug addiction and has been clean for most of this year, just moved in with me to get a fresh start in Seattle. Bringing back a lot of memories. I'd forgotten how much I like being a sister, we've been estranged for so long. It's nice to have someone around who remembers some of the same childhood memories you do. It's pretty special. It's so nice to have her back ;o) (and it has the added benefit of having someone around to verbally abuse when you're in the mood, jokingly of course) ;o)

News From the Holmestead said...

Lesley, I'm so glad you've made your peace with your sister and that she's clean now. My sister and I have become closer in the past few years, and I hope you enjoy some quality bonding time with your own sister. ~Sherrie